Tuesday, April 26, 2005

No more stalking the mail man.

I have exciting news. After MONTHS of waiting, we can finally stop being mailbox vigilantes. Of the 22 law schools Ryan applied to, all 22 have FINALLY responded!

Here is where we are at right now, along with the school rankings:

Acceptances:
George Washington-20
Washington University in St. Louis-20 (+Scholarship)
BYU-34 (+Scholarship)
University of Utah-47 (+Scholarship)
Southern Methodist University-47 (+Scholarship)
Indiana University-40 (+Scholarship)
Temple-? (around 50, I think) (+Scholarship)

Rejections:
NYU-5
Columbia University-4
Duke-10
University of Texas--Austin-15
UCLA-16

Wait-lists:
University of Chicago-6
University of Michigan-7
University of Pennsylvania-7
University of Virginia-9
Northwestern-10
Georgetown-14
Vanderbilt-17
Washington & Lee-23
College of William & Mary-29

There is one school I can't account for, but I can't remember for the life of me what it is. But anyway, there you go. So, phase one of waiting around to find out where we're at in life is OVER! I can stop stalking the mailman.

Now begins the fun part: Phase 2, the wait-lists. The problem with wait-lists is that they can call Ryan anytime from now until the first few weeks AFTER school starts! So, now we become telephone vigilantes. True story: we know someone who, on a gamble, started attending NYU, where he was on a waiting list, instead of the school he was accepted to. The third week, he got in! I told Ryan not to get any ideas...

At this point, I think Ryan is leaning towards BYU, just because it's too good a deal to turn down (he'd pay less than he's been paying at USU for his undergrad). But I think if he's accepted off almost any of the waitlists he's on, that's where we will go (6 of the 9 are top ten schools). Which means our odds of living in Provo are probably pretty slim. This is, of course, a good thing and a bad thing.

Anyway, that's my big news for the day. Now, I'm off to finish my term paper, which is due in less than 20 hours, and I have only written 2 of the 20 pages required. Some day I will learn to stop procrastinating.